Monday, April 15, 2002

Brewing Storm

There is a storm brewing. Weatherman can't predict it. Civilians can't hide from it. The rain will soak to the bone. The thunder will shake your entire body. Your eyes will need to be hidden from the intensity of the lightning. It would be an amazing show if it was not all taking place inside of me.

Tears begin to build in my eyes as I slowly drive away from everyone and everything that I know. The cell phone beside me rings jerking me back to reality. The voice laced with emotion causes me to ponder the wisdom of my decision. Two more phone calls resembling the first send me teetering to the edge. I shut off my phone. Turning the radio up I accelerate trying to out drive my thoughts. I fail to out race the doubts and fears. Mile upon mile pass and the storm is still brewing. All I love, know, need, and want is being left hundreds of miles behind.

Days later a dull ache fills my body. Voices and memories of times past dance before my eyes. Regret plays with my mind. I search for new ways to fill the void in my life. Nothing seems to relieve the pain. The storm has stalled. Lingering it boasts of its impressive strength.

I fear that this time I will not be able to control the storm. My temper is short. I snap responses to the people around me. Every little thing seems to grate on my nerves. This feeling of unsettlement that has washed over me disturbs me to no end. I can't shake it or explain it. It causes me to react in ways that are uncharacteristically not me. Please understand that this is breaking my heart. I do not mean to hurt you but I just need my space to weather out the storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment