Monday, March 26, 2012

Blowing up perception

If you've read any posts prior to this one, you'll notice that I've waxed poetic, critiqued, rambled, and essentially subjected you to more words than you've probably cared to read.  Things aren't about to change.

However, this blog is about to take a turn.  Not really a 180 or even a 90.  There will probably be more posts than before and while the book reviews and randomness will continue, there will be more concentration on real life.

I've recently become impassioned by a handful of separate incidents but they all were linked by a common thread.  I'm highly annoyed and frustrated by the false appearances that Christians seem to exhibit but also demand.  The world has this impression that Christians are boring and perfect and close-minded and the list goes on.  Christians have this impression that the only way to be a good Christian is to be perfect.  Our role models are to be perfect.  Our pastors are to be perfect.  We are to be perfect.

I'm here to tell you that I am not perfect.  I am a Christian. I am saved by grace and I struggle with sin daily.  As my friend tells me I have a potty mouth.  It is true; I won't lie.  I also am not always courteous with my thoughts and as today was a great example I definitely had un-Christian thoughts towards some of my co-workers.  I struggle with self-doubt.  I internalize pain.  I've been known to have a drink or two and depending on your circle that to some is not very Christian-like.

The truth is that Christians are human just like you and everyone else on this planet.  I'm tempted.  I anger.  I feel pain.  I say things I don't mean.  I need to ask forgiveness and I need to grant forgiveness.  Two of my good friends have said things to me that make me realize that our perceptions can be wrong.  One of my friends asked me if I ever wanted to have sex or if being a pastor's kid meant I was never tempted.  The other compared me to Jamie Sullivan of A Walk to Remember and as I told her 20 minutes later when she knew me better she wouldn't think that anymore.

In the future you'll find more honest, revealing posts.  I'm not out to prove or justify my sinful nature.  If I can help one person rethink their perceptions on Christians then I'll have exceeded my hopes.

No comments:

Post a Comment