Thursday, June 2, 2016

What's the big gesture?

I get irritated with my friends a lot. I get irritated with books and movies even more. I really get irritated by influential bloggers who are educated on relationships by TV shows. 

The following dialogue is from Chasing Liberty which sets the scene for the final swoon moment before "they lived happily ever after" scrolls and the credits roll.

"My father was always at work. Never at home. My mother wanted him to make the 
big gesture."

"What's the big gesture?"

"You know 'I'll quit for you. I'll stay home for you, darling.' But he didn't. 
Because... Well, people don't really do that, do they?"

I have no problems with Chasing Liberty. I probably watch the movie once every year or year 
and a half. It is an entertaining hour and a half. However, it is entertaining and not a lesson on 
life, love, and behaving like a President's daughter. 

If you are waiting for Prince Charming to perform a grand gesture so you can wear glass slippers 
and a pretty dress, I fear you will be waiting a long time. A successful relationship doesn't require 
an overwhelming act of sacrifice to be sustainable. A declaration of love isn't more true because
it was dragged on a banner behind a plane. The feelings aren't deeper because they are sung 
rather than said.

A cliche which happens often in entertainment is the musician boyfriend writing a song for his 
girlfriend. A moment like this may be considered a gesture. However, as someone who has had 
two guys write songs for her, I can tell you it isn't as romantic as the movies make it out to be. It 
can be awkwardly painful when it leaves you speechless because running away screaming isn't 
an acceptable response and neither is pretending to feel the same because of the romance 
of the moment.

I hear "I love you" when a guy watches a movie I know he has zero interest in and does it 
without complaining. I say "I love you" by listening to his music in the car. I hear "I love you" 
when he carries more of the grocery bags than I do. I say "I love you" when I surprise him with 
a coffee. I hear "I love you" when he picks a restaurant he knows I like. 

If we are always waiting on a grand gesture, we are missing the moments which add up to a 
wonderful relationship. A grand gesture sometimes is nothing more than a desperate plea to 
save that which is already beyond repair.





No comments:

Post a Comment