Sunday, May 9, 2010

Heaven is going to suck

for some people.

John Newton wrote Amazing Grace but the verse that I have come to love is considered the fourth verse and it is credited to Harriet Beecher Stowe.  History of Amazing Grace

When we've been there ten thousand years
Bright shining as the sun
We've no less day to sing
God's praise than when we first begun

I can't wait for that day.  There will be no clock to tell me it is time to stop singing.  There will be no distraction from Him.  There will be no bills to pay and therefore no work.  There will be no obstacle to giving my everything over to Him.  There will be no more human nature to prevent my absolute adoration to Him.

I think there are many Christians out there who haven't taken into consideration what Heaven will really be like.  It won't be rainbows and puppy dogs.  It'll be an eternity of uninterrupted praise.  We won't magically love it in Heaven if we dislike it on Earth.

I envy Christian musicians who make their living praising God.  They spend hours in the studio repeating songs of praise and worship to God.  I know there is probably some concern over the timing, tempo, right notes of the songs they sing, but when God's presence arrives and they emerge themselves in relationship with Him praise happens.

"God desires and is pleased to communicate with us through the avenues of our minds, our wills, and our emotions.  The continuous and unembarrassed interchange of love and thought between God and the souls of redeemed men and women is the throbbing heart of the New Testament religion."  A.W. Tozer

I sometimes stumble on that unembarrassed part.  Not because I'm ashamed of my God.  I've gotten over being a part of the minority who will acknowledge God with their thoughts, word, and actions.  I can't sing for crap.  The best singing that I can possibly do is mime singing.  I can't hit the right notes.  I don't hear the right notes.  I hate when someone says "let's sing this next verse with just our voices."  My singing voice is as talented as my trombone playing.

However, if I embrace the true spirit of worship then I won't get embarrassed by my singing.  Worship is completely about Him.  If I enter into worship with Him concerned only about strengthening our relationship, finding His will, following His commands then there is no reason for my embarrassment. Sure I was embarrassed when someone in my life pointed out that auditioning for American Idol shouldn't be my goal.  It embarrassed me at the time, but now I'm thankful that someone cared enough about me to set me on the right path.  God is no Simon Cowell.  To which we can all offer an "amen" and a "praise Jesus."

"... God's highest desire is that every one of His believing children should so love and so adore Him that we are continuously in His presence, in Spirit and in truth."

A.W. Tozer in Whatever Happened to Worship



No comments:

Post a Comment