Wednesday, April 28, 2010

I'll Never

I swore in March of 2004 that I'd never live in Timberlake Apartments in Orlando, Fl.  I might have been an NSYNC fan but I drew the line at the overabundance of boy band references that surrounded living in Timberlake Apartments in Boy Band Central.  Turns out that the rent was affordable, the apartments well kept, and the area convenient.  I lived there for nearly a year.

"I think God is crying out to us: 'Don't just do something.  Stand there!  Enter into a love relationship with Me.  Get to know Me.  Adjust your life to me.  Let Me love you and teach you about Myself as I work through you.'  A time will come when action is required, but we must not short-circuit the relationship (Psalm 37:7).  Your relationship with God must come first.  Out of your walk with God, He accomplishes His plans for our world."

Henry and Richard Blackaby with Claude King

I had an interesting conversation with a friend the other day.  We were discussing how sometimes saying "I'll never...." means you almost surely will.  In Bible Study we are reading Experiencing God: Knowing and Doing the Will of God we read that passage tonight.  A few pages later this passage is waiting for us to discuss in the upcoming weeks:

"God calls you to a relationship in which He is Lord-where you are willing to do and be anything He chooses.  If you respond to Him as Lord, He may lead you to do things you would have never dreamed of."

I've put limitations on God.  I wouldn't think of telling God "no" when He has directly called me to do something.  However, I have said "I'll never...."  I think God is challenging me to face down my resolution to never and asking me how obedient I'll be.  I am completely clueless about where God might be leading me.  Maybe he's testing to what end I'll be obedient.  He might be asking if I'll follow His will despite adversity or judgement.  Will I overlook my own thoughts on how life should play out so I'll follow His script?

There are more than twenty chapters left to this book.  The Will of God (following His Will, learning His Will, knowing His Will) isn't the easiest subject to find clarity on.  Right now I'm accepting the challenge to strengthen my relationship with God so that when He calls me to be what He chooses I'll be ready to follow.    

No comments:

Post a Comment