Thursday, January 10, 2013

Self-Control? Gun-Control?

There is a lot of talk about gun control going on right now. The debate as to whether owning one is a right or a privilege. Can you control who owns a gun? Can you control who uses a gun? I don't believe this debate needs to be around gun control. The only one who controls a gun is the person who has their finger on the trigger. This is a self-control and respect issue. The first time I handled a gun I was approximately ten years old. Before I touched the gun, I was given rules and taught to respect the power of the gun. Since that first day I have enjoyed target practice and I prefer hand guns. From birth I was raised to respect people and take responsibility for my actions. This translates to a respect for the power of the gun but even more so a high value for other's lives. A gun is no more dangerous than a car, cigarette, knife, or cow manure. You can place a ban on guns all you want but until we learn to view each other with respect and kindness, we'll just find new ways to kill each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment