Friday, June 7, 2013

Fifteen years as an adult

Fifteen years ago today I graduated from high school. I don't believe I am old enough for this.

It is funny to think how I would have planned my life out if given the chance. I'm positive it wouldn't have taken the path it did. I am eternally grateful for the path it took even if I've complained some through the years.

My graduation speech was written by a naive 17 year old who felt the anticipation of a plethora of opportunities ahead of her and the confusion of which one would be the right choice. The only right path was the one that I embarked on. I remember contemplating my potential career paths. Penciled in by my ten year reunion would have been a wedding and a couple of kids. Life certainly didn't happen that way.

On Monday I'll begin again. I'll be starting a new full-time, permanent job. The first since I was laid off nearly a year ago. This moment is eerily similar to the one that occurred out of high school. I jumped on an opportunity and waited to see where what adventures it would take me on. This job is much like the opportunity that presented itself to me out of high school. I didn't exactly see it coming but I'm eager to see where it will take me.

In the meantime I'm comforting myself with the fact that I don't feel like I've been out of high school 15 years. I've crossed that line from young adulthood to adult, but I still feel like the kid who is anxious to see what dreams will come true and which ones will be replaced with something better.

What is making me feel a bit old is that my niece has completed KG. Yeah, I am still trying to wrap my head around that.


No comments:

Post a Comment