Sunday, April 12, 2009




I take great amusement when listening to someone from Texas give an interview or answer questions. They’ll often preface their answers with “I’m from Texas” as if that explains everything.

“You put ketchup on your scrambled eggs?”
“I’m from Texas and it is good. You ever try it?”

“You played baseball as a kid?”
“I’m from Texas. I played short stop for years before moving to third base.”

“What’s your high score on Rock Band?”
“I’m from Texas. I suck at Rock Band because whistling isn’t an instrument.”

I’ve never really claimed to be from anywhere. I was born in NH, raised mostly in RI, moved to ME, took sabbaticals from the northeast in Vegas and Fl, and am currently residing in MA. I’ll usually say that I’m a New England chic. Never laid claim to a parcel of land as my home. Usually don’t feel much for the geographical location that I’m stopping at until my next residence.




However, I was a bit sad when news broke that fire had destroyed a good portion of Alton Bay. That was my first home. I remember nothing about it. I’ve been there a few times long after it was no longer home. It’s a piece of my history though. I don’t have memories of Christmas and Easter in that home. We probably left before I was old enough to make a mark. I’ve only been back a handful of times since and I haven’t stepped foot inside the house.

Last September I was there for a weekend. Stayed on the campground. Relived memories with my mother. She pointed out where she’d escape to find a few moments of relaxation on the lake while pregnant with me. Pointed out cottages of people who have been deceased for many years that made an impression on her life. Saw places that were part of the beginning of my parent’s ministry. Went into Wolfeboro, NH where I was actually born for a few hours and walked around with a friend. Chilled out nearly three decades after having left where my life began. I didn’t notice the changes that have occurred. Just enjoyed the quaint little town that at one point was home.
In the past year I've had an opportunity to revisit my history. My father is now pastoring at the church that he and my mother married in 32 years ago this June. I've visited my birthplace equipped with a maturity to understand the significance of being there. It is an honor to be able to know from where you came that equipped you for where you are going.






No comments:

Post a Comment