Monday, May 11, 2009

Lord of the Rings

I love all things hobbit, elven, ranger, dwarf, and Tolkien.  I'm guilty of seeing each movie at least double digits in the theater and I've had more than one Lord of the Rings marathon since they've come out on DVD.  I couldn't get enough.  I'd soak it up and want more.  I tried to convert all the ignorant to embrace the fabulousness of all things Tolkien.  Eventually though life got in the way and Pirates of the Caribbean came out and my LOTR collection began preventing dust from collecting beneath its cases on my  DVD shelf.

For the first time in a year I put in a LOTR movie.  Return of the King made its way into the DVD player last night.  I was reminded why I fell in love with them in the first place.  I cried, cheered, and laughed as if it was my first time seeing it.  (Had anyone been able to see me sitting on the couch with a couple of cats, crying my eyes out they'd have thought me crazy.) 

There are so many wonderful facets to LOTR.  My favorite though has to be the sum of its parts.  There is no super hero to save the day.  There is no larger than life, bitten by a radioactive spider, stronger than steel, faster than a speeding bullet, acid dipped, underwear on the outside of his tights, cape wearing hero that rights the wrongs.  It is a fellowship formed from friendship and duty that face the evil together.  Even the practically perfect elf isn't perfect as he deals with doubt, but they press on.  The smallest can be a hero right alongside the heir.  It’s the sum of its parts that are successful and perfection doesn't play a part.  Loyalty fuels them.  Friendship encourages them.  Perseverance conquers. 

Sam is without a doubt my favorite hobbit.  Merry and Pippin provide the lightness that endear a hobbit to one.  Frodo shows us that there is more to a hobbit than meets the eye (or knees if you consider their height).  Sam though is faithful.  Sam remains loyal despite being tossed aside by Frodo.  He shows up and repeatedly saves Frodo's increasingly led astray butt.  Sam fights side by side with Frodo when Frodo fights and fights for Frodo when Frodo throws in the towel.  Frodo wouldn't have been successful without Sam.  He's the unsung hero and one of my favorite moments from ROTK is when Sam comes to Frodo's rescue again after the orcs get him in Mordor.  His shadow is more menacing than his stature and yet he overcomes.  I can't help but cheer because it is those moments that count. 

Through it all not one of them is perfect.  They each face their own demons, doubt, self worth issues.  Yet they each have faith in each other that the others will be there.  Through it all they trust that their rescue will come at the hands of their friends.  The sum of its parts beats out needing one perfect hero and together they are victorious.

A lesson the 18-1 Patriots should have learned.  Maybe Coach Bill needs to consider new video footage.  I digress though.

King Theoden has the most poignant lines in my opinion.  In Two Towers he stands preparing for battle and questions why he is asking his men to fight.  What has he done to demand their loyalty.  There is a great exchange that just cuts deep.  (I'll have to find the time to type it all out but it resonates.)  Then in ROTK King Theoden is dying and he talks of going to the halls of his fathers where he'll know no shame.  Gets me every dang time.  Because that ladies and gentleman is what it is ultimately about.  Despite his concerns and sometimes lack of faith in what he is doing and why, he'll face his "fathers" and stand proud.  Such great symbolism and if you don't get it I'm sure I'll be returning to this topic because I can't let it go.      

       

No comments:

Post a Comment