Friday, March 15, 2013

Glamorous Illusions

Glamorous Illusions is the first book in Lisa T. Bergren's Grand Tour Series. It is also the first book I've read by this author.

Having never read anything by Bergren, I wasn't entirely sure what to expect. I didn't have much background on the story so the plot was a complete mystery to me. Cora Diehl has one dream. She wants to be a teacher. Returning home after finishing two of the fours necessary to get her certificate, Cora's world is rocked. After her father has a stroke she sets to work on bringing the family farm back to life. Life is slipping away from both her father and the farm when a rich stranger shows up on her porch. Twenty years of lies come uncovered and Cora is soon relocated to a big city and about to embark on a Grand Tour through Europe. She is met with questions, resistance, and confusion as she tries to settle in her mind is she Cora Diehl or Cora Diehl Kensington.

I read through this book pretty quickly. The plot isn't new to historical fiction but the Grand Tour sounded so appealing to me that I wanted to know how the adventure went. First person fiction novels aren't my style. I felt there were some awkward exchanges from one scene to another amidst changing of point of views. The story was intriguing enough to keep me entertained that I mostly read the book in one sitting. Since it ended on a cliffhanger of sorts, I'm looking forward to seeing what happens in Grave Consequences. 


No comments:

Post a Comment