Monday, April 15, 2013

April 15, 2013

Today's events will be added to the history books someday. As generations age 4/15/2013 will become a question on a "facts about me" email that will probably be shared by the newest social media sensation as 9/11 has become.

The following is literally going to count as ramblings because I'm not even sure what I want to say tonight.

On 9/11/2001 as the towers were hit and began to burn, I desperately wanted to drive to the airport and get on a plane. All flights were grounded out of concern for more attacks. This upset me because I didn't want to give them the satisfaction. I wasn't scared to fly. I was mad I couldn't fly and prove to the terrorists that they couldn't scare me.

Today I desperately wished I could get to Boston and run the marathon. After the explosions as they warned people away from Boston so the wounded could be helped and the perpetrators hunted, I wanted to run the 26.2 because the explosions were designed to cause fear.

I defy those who try to force me into fearing living. I will not live in fear. I will not wonder when you will strike next. The only way I know how to best you at this game is to live my life without concern for if you may be lurking around the corner. I won't allow your hate to drive out the love in my life.

My heart grieves as photos and videos surface, giving image to the horror that transpired. Families on Patriots Day cheering for runners who ran to raise money and awareness for a cause were torn apart. It sickens me that in the midst of selfless acts terror can create chaos.

I'm sure today isn't the last historical day that I'll see in my lifetime. Anniversaries are slowly overcoming the calendar as we remember victims of terror. I pray for everyone who has suffered from senseless acts of violence that they'll find peace. I pray they find forgiveness so the grief doesn't consume them. Mostly I pray that we can respect each other and put an end to the violence.




No comments:

Post a Comment