Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Code Triage

Code Triage by Candace Calvert.

I need to be fair to this book and let you know that I did my version of speed reading for portions of this book. Which means I skimmed some paragraphs and at times chapters. I may someday go back and reread, but I finished the book last night and I don't feel the urge today.

Leigh Stathos has returned to San Francisco to help her sister get clean. While Caroline is in rehab Leigh plans on selling her house, divorcing her husband, and finding a new city to live in. As an ER doctor there are plenty of cities she can choose from where she won't run into her ex-husband, Nick, a SF police officer or the woman he cheated on her with. Unfortunately before Leigh can get out of town, she finds herself working with Nick and Sam.  Through the trauma of an ER and the roller coaster of her personal life, we follow Leigh as she discovers the meaning of the word "forever."

Calvert writes an interesting tale. Although the last chapter is predictable from the first chapter, she weaves in the excitement of life in the ER.  The problem I had in reading Code Triage was that we ventured inside Sam's head. Sam is your typical soap opera character. She's a woman who believes she can love another woman's husband better. We venture into her conniving mind and really I could have done without her internal monologue as she chooses a new father for her daughter. Sam goes out of her way to sabotage Leigh and Nick's attempts to reconcile.  Of course by the end Sam is apologizing and realizing she never stood a chance.  It was a bit too cliche for me. I would have appreciated reading about her attempts in a "show don't tell" approach.

I did enjoy the epilogue as a few characters returned and we were able to glimpse to see where their journeys had brought them.




No comments:

Post a Comment